Saturday, June 13, 2009

Finally, my first post as a member of c)i!

It's so exciting on so many levels for me to be involved with the RW>>FFWD program.  I'm still getting my bearings in general as the newest member of the band, so the fact that the first c)i concert with which I'll be involved as an "official member" also happens to be the 10th anniversary concert is an honor and a thrill.  I've been lucky to work with c)i in various capacities over the past couple of years, first as a composer, then as an engineer and recordist, then as a curator for a new program (stay tuned for more!) and now as a part of the family.    I continue to be amazed by the abilities, energy, and intellect of everyone in the group, and I can only hope to contribute something to this already wonderful and singular ensemble.  


Of course, a part of my excitement in advance of Monday evening derives from Sumi's US premiere of my Partita for solo cello. I wrote it for her in 2007 for a premiere in Japan, and I still haven't heard the piece live myself.  Hearing the recording of the premiere, and especially listening to her play through it more recently, I am blown away by how easily and beautifully she brings the various strands of the piece to life, giving each voice in the work's dialogue its own distinctive character while maintaining the unity of the whole structure.   It's so rare as a composer to put a new piece in front of a performer and almost immediately hear back exactly what you had in mind.  I'm fortunate to have had such an experience with Sumi and Partita, and I can't thank her enough for it. Beyond this one piece, though, I really have Sumi to thank for introducing me to c)i and being such a strong advocate for my involvement.  


Looking forward to seeing everyone on Monday and throughout the upcoming c)i season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment