Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bartlett's 'Spell' :: a recording

With our next concert coming up in two scant weeks, I thought that it would be nice to repost a performance from our last concert, a joint program with the Washington Square Contemporary Music Society.

I'll post one or two other excerpts from that concert in the next week or so, but I thought I'd start with Kyle's delicately ferocious string trio Spell.  I wrote about this just before the premiere, and listening it two it a few months later I continue to be struck by the work's aggressive vacillations between feeling like the only piece of music you've ever heard and being a piece that has both just begun and just ended.

Unsurprisingly, tremendous performances from Miranda Cuckson (violin)

Max Mendel (viola), and Christopher Gross (cello).




Come here some more tremendous music and performances on 31 January at the Bruno Walter Auditorium in the Library of Performing Arts at Lincoln Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment