Tuesday, February 21, 2012

More Words about Music!

For the next concert, I'm hugely excited to be working with one of my favorite musicians, Paula Robison. She and I first played together on a Mozart concert; she played operatic arias on the flute with such style, so communicatively, that one heard the text in one's head. She has since taken up a second career as Sprecherin; we have done Pierrot Lunaire several times together, and when the idea for the upcoming show took shape, I knew she would be interested in this meeting place of words and music we are exploring.
I'd also like to share some things I've seen recently that seem relevant to our program:

Sometimes the words get in the way of my poetry.
-John Ashbery

…we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
-Romans 8:26

These certainly got me thinking.

1 comment:

  1. Your post got me thinking too, Steve.
    Lord Byron, when his whirling life got too
    overwhelming for him, would dive into whatever water was nearest and swim long distances with powerful strokes....his "Ode" is quite personal;one can hear his voice clearly, so I reckon that as a woman speaking his words, I'd better get ready to dive in and swim too....

    ReplyDelete